How is VRT calculated?
VRT is calculated based on the Open Market Selling Price of the vehicle as determined by the revenue commissioners. The rate at which it is charged depends on the type of vehicle being registered.
- For standard passengers cars the rate of VRT is based on the CO2 emissions of the car.
- Depending on the commercial vehicle the VRT rate is either 13.3% or €200.
- Some vehicles are exempt from VRT such as ambulances and fire engines.
- Finally motorcycles are taxed at a rate based on engine size in cc’s.
- To calculate VRT on a vehicle click here